Friday, February 26, 2010

a REAL eye opener!

I wear, and swear by, liquid black eyeliner.  Everyday.  Morning and evening.  I started wearing it when I was in high school.....I remember seeing Selena and deciding right then and there liquid was the ONLY way to go.  I used to wear pencil liner but it would get all over my lids and look none-so-foxy, so this little make-up product is a gem!

My preference is Revlon Color Stay liquid liner in blackest black.  It really does stay and just gives a sharper, more classic look.  The absolute BEST part of this is that the tip of it is like a pen.  It's not as messy as a brush and you can get the thickness that you want with barely any room for error.  (I learned on Clinique's liquid liner-- and while it does last for-ev-er, it was a booger to put on....too many "DOH!" moments for this stylin fox!)  You can wear it with shadow for a super dramatic look, but I think it's best with just some mascara for a cleaner notice-my-eyes-more-than-any-other-feature kind of statement. Either way, you are sure to look foxy!

To apply liquid liner----clean off some of the liner on the inside of the bottle (start out with a little....it's easier to add than to try and remove).  Begin lining as close to the lashline as possible in the center of your lid going to the outside corner.  Make sure you get it as thick as you want it.  You can take it just to the corner for an everyday look, or swoop it out a bit for are-they-or-aren't-they cat eyes.  Without dipping the pen again, go to the inner corner of your lid and very carefully draw in towards the starting point.  While you are learning to perfect this, it's best to go in shorter strokes to make sure you don't get it too thick.  You want it to grow in thickness from the inside corner to the outside.  The real trick, however, is getting the other eye to match.  It just takes a little bit of practice, but you will get there in no time!  Don't get frustrated....I've been doing this for about 12 years and it's still the longest part of my make-up application.  The main things to remember are: 1) do not stretch out your lid with your finger!  Other than possibly making unncessary wrinkles (gasp) it pulls the lid to unrealistic lengths and can cause gaps in the liner.  When you release it to it's normal shape there's no telling what you'll end up with!  If you need to stretch your lid, simply raise your eyebrows.  2) your eye make-up should go on in this order---eye shadow, mascara, eye liner.  If you put on mascara before shadow, the shadow can get stuck in your mascara.  If you put eye liner on before shadow, it won't be as sharp.  If you put eye liner on before the mascara, you can clump your lashes together and make the mascara situation a situation


Disclaimer:  As with anything, there is more than one way to do it and, sadly, liquid liner is not for everyone.  If you try my method and find yourself still having some issues, before you hang it up try Trish's.  She is a bit different about it than I am (she likes the pull method), but I love liquid liner so much I am making sure you have options! If after trying both ways the look is not working for you but neither is the pencil, try a gel liner or a dark shadow using a brush like this one.  You can click here to see the info on this particular brush!
  Questions?  Just ask 'em!  And as always, stay stylin...like a fox!!
(so far so good this week.....hope you are feelin even foxier!)




3 comments:

  1. oh goodness I love this post!!!! I have so many problems trying to put mine on! I always seem to mess up! Thanks so much for the tips, I am definetly going to try this next time!!!
    xoxo,
    Lindsay

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always wanted to try liquid eyeliner, I was just to afraid of messing it up though! Thanks for the makeup tips, I will be using them for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. awesome! practice makes perfect--you'll soon wonder how you ever lived without it! ;)

    ~Stylin

    ReplyDelete