Thursday, February 11, 2010

Brain Dump...

I'm going to let you in on a secret... I often struggle with being savvy.   I do!  Maybe for those of you who know me outside of the blogosphere this really isn't that much of a secret.  But the key word here is that I struggle... which means that while I don't have this whole "savvy" thing down to a science, I'm always looking for better ways to save, better ways to get organized... better ways to truly define savvy in my life.  How many self-help books leave you feeling worse than you felt before you picked it up??  Well readers... let me promise you one thing... I ain't that kind of fox!  I right out there with you... looking for ways to stretch my hard earned dollar and make my household run smoothly!

Since Crafty and Geeky have gotten to share their blog crushes... I'm here to share mine!   Tsh and her fellow bloggers at simplemom.net seem to be overflowing with helpful tips on how to thrive as a household.  Don't let the name fool you, although the name may reach out to moms, it's a wonderful site for men too!   She's got some wonderful downloads (some *free*--what's more frugal than that?!) including her Daily Docket , which is a wonderful daily planner.  Take a peek... you can print or design your own!  For the artsy, right brained type try Todoodlist , an e-book with some really cool creative ways to get your thoughts out on paper!

Even with all the technology in the world, I would say that nothing helps me iron out my thoughts for the day better than a good brain dump.  Sounds rather crude because, well... it is.  It's not pretty, it's not organized, but that's ok... it's just to clear my head and prepare myself to get down to the brass tax.  I start with a blank page and just write.  To-do's get jotted, appointments, random thoughts, doodles.... those little things that I think (and usually say to my husband) "I won't forget that"... I've even started to write those down.  Then things can get a little cleaner-- take your to-do's and plug them into your phone... write it on the fridge, put it in your planner, send yourself an email.  Whatever it is, you've now gotten all your thoughts out, and have organized them "outloud".   You may find that you need to plot out your day like a timeline, you may find that a helpful post it may do the trick... but whichever way it works for you, stick with it!  By dumping your thoughts out on a piece of paper, you may be able to see that the tasks ahead of you aren't as daunting as you may have thought at first.  You may also find that a seemingly easy task may need more attention to detail than you had thought.  But by giving yourself a few moments to pull out your thoughts and take a good look, you gain the flexibility of having a better handle on the tasks ahead of you!

Give it a try!  There's no wrong way!  Just get it all out... Dump that Brain and get Savvy!

No comments:

Post a Comment