Monday, February 1, 2010

DIY Photo Garland

Anyone who has ever talked to me about crafting, walks away knowing one thing:  I have a craft crush on this girl
I read her blog daily (sometimes twice a day)!  I have gotten so much inspiration from her.   So, today's crafty...like a fox idea comes right from Elsie, of course!

A few weeks ago, Elsie had some cute polaroid-like holiday decor ideas

I added these to my favorites and knew I would be back to try them.  Today was the perfect day!  In the first photo, Elsie actually uses pictures from a Fuji Instax camera.  It prints out little pictures that are very similar to polaroids.  I don't have one of these cameras, so I decided to make my own polaroid-like photos!  Here's what you need to get started:
Since I'm cutting letters out of my photos, I chose photos that were lit badly or blurry or duplicates.  Next, you'll need to cut your cardstock and photos. 
The cardstock needs to be 3.5" wide and 4" high.  The photo should be 3"x3".  Next, with your exacto knife, cut out your letter on the photo. I just freehanded mine, but you could trace your favorite font.  I wanted mine to look a little funky!   It helps if you do this on a self healing mat.  That way you won't accidentally cut into your countertop or table!

Glue down your photo on your cardstock.  Position it so that it resembles a polaroid.
That's all you need to make your "polaroids".  I wanted to add a little extra touch to mine, so I just drew little dashes around the inside of the letter
Cute, huh? 
When you get all your photos ready, you need to punch a couple of holes on each side of the photo.  Take some yarn or some other kind of stringing material and slide your photos through. 
Hang it up!
Ta-Dah!!!

I made this for the Geeky fox for her 1st craft show.  I thought it turned out super cute!


I hope she loves it!  :)


Have a great day!
DeAndra

3 comments:

  1. OMG I LOVE IT!!! You never fail to suprise me with your craftyness!!! Thank you SOO much!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oohh, Elsie's blog is great! Thanks for letting us know about it. Love the banner! It turned out super cute.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it!!! And I have a craft crush on Elsie tooo, don't hide it :)

    ReplyDelete