Thursday, February 4, 2010

What the?!?!

Hello!! Today's post will answer those questions that should be answered, but not necessarily asked in your stylist's chair.  Ooh, scandalous!

What is a proper tip for services?
Well, if you think that a normal tip for someone who brings food to your table is 10-15%, it's fair to say that the person who went to school for hair, has kept up continuing education classes, and ensures you leave her chair lookin h-o-t, should receive 20-25%.  Keep in mind, though, that a tip is not required, but rather used to show appreciation for the stylist's efforts and for producing a great look.  If you are totally satisfied, tip as high as you want (*wink*)!  However, leaving a tip only to call again and complain (i.e.I really did love it but my husband/boyfriend complained that I spent $150 at the salon and now I have to retrieve the bills to save my relationship) is generally frowned upon.  If you are truly unhappy, that leads me to....

How do I handle being unhappy with my cut/color?
If it's your first time seeing that stylist, you simply tell her/him that it was not what you had in mind and see if they can fix it immediately.  Do not, do not, just walk away acting like everything is ok.  You are a paying customer, afterall.  Now, that does not mean turn into the Incredible Hulk and start cussing and throwing things, name-calling and other embarrassing reactions.  It simply means that you should leave somewhat content if the unthinkable does occur.  If this is someone you have been going to for a while, hopefully you have built up enough of a relationship with them that you can just be straight forward and know they will fix it in a snap. Sometimes your vision and your fantastic stylist's miss each other...but I am sure you have all heard the saying, "I'm a beautician, not a magician!" To ensure your end result is what you want, communicate.  Bring in pictures of what you like as well as what you don't.  Listen when your stylist tells you something won't look as good as what you think it will----(platinum is not a universal color, and a pixie cut does not make you look like Posh).  Keep in mind that very rarely are refunds given, so once you pay it's done.  You can return to have that stylist try again, but it is best to address the situation when it happens.  If you really and truly don't notice the heinousness of your cut until you go to fix it yourself (a stylist's blowout can hide many a blunder), call back and speak to her/him directly.  If it's so bad you don't want their hands in your hair again.....

What is the best way to find a new stylist?
Ask your friends or trusted co-workers with fabulous hair who they see. Honestly, though, the best way is if you see a stranger in the super market with amazing hair (who fixes their hair to go grocery shopping??  It must be a great cut!), ask her who her stylist is and if she has a card.  Make sure you get her name so when you go in you can say, "I saw Caroline in the grocery store this week....I love her hair and she referred me to you!" This will make the stylist feel like a million bucks and she will definitely give you the 5 star treatment.  Also, a lot of stylists have referral rewards....so Caroline might get something extra for referring you, and so might you!  The best reward, though, is being relaxed in the chair and leaving knowing you look foxy!


Victoria Beckham approves this message! (not really...she endorses nothing in this blog...but I think she would if she knew about it)

More questions?  Contact this Stylin Fox at likeafoxblog@yahoo.com

Have a stylin weekend....like a fox!

3 comments:

  1. Great advice! I never quite know how to act when displeased with a cut. Now I will speak up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. But ... I never know whether I like a cut until I have worn it around a few days. Part of the reason for this is that my stylist either 1) fixes it differently than I fix it and I don't like her fix, but do love the cut OR 2) fixes a cut in a very cute way, but I don't know how (or can't) replicate the look later, and I'm stuck with a cut that doesn't work. Soooooo... I need more advice!! If you are headed back to a stylist and what she did didn't work (even if it was your suggestion and not her fault) what do you say? Don't do that to me again?

    Also, if you have a stylist that you've gotten good cuts from and all the sudden one is awful, how many "bad" cuts does a stylist get before you move on?

    Also, are your tipping rules the same no matter how much you spend? Do you tip the same way for a $40 service as for a $200 service?

    More, stylin fox, more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. :) Personally, when I am doing my pre-cut consultation, I always (!) ask how they style it at home. If you have never been asked that question, you should offer up that tid bit of info. Not only is your answer huge in how she styles it that day, but of course how you can style it at home. Make sure when you are telling her what you want that you also tell her how much time you want/have to mess with it in the morning....that can factor in to whether or not what you want will work for your lifestyle. And yes it's ok to say "let's not do that again"....even I, master of perfection that I am, have heard it. We both thought it would work at the time, but then in practice at home it didn't. It's totally ok! And never be afraid to ask her to help you learn how to style a new cut. She can show you better ways to round brush, tease, straighten, etc., and guide you to the best products for your hair type and desired look.

    My advice for how many cuts until you decide enough is enough....2-3, depending on how forgiving you are. Everyone is entitled to a bad day, but if you go back in and say "don't do that again" and again happens, you are within your rights to seek help elsewhere.

    Yes, my tipping rules are the same as it is completely (!) your decision as to how much you tip. Whether you stick to that, go up OR down is your call. You are not required to tip--ever. Generally speaking, though, 20-25% is acceptable. If you have a $200 service, an extra $40 is great if you feel she deserves it and, most importantly, you have it to give. Just keep in mind: the higher the service cost, the more time and education went into it.

    Hope that helps!!

    ReplyDelete