Friday, March 12, 2010

A Color State of Mind.....

So lately the weather here has been A-MAZING and it has put me in the mood for COLOR!  As a hairstylist, I know that hair color changes with the seasons.  Typically, people go a little darker in the fall and winter, and start brightening it up in the spring and summer.  So, guess what?!  I totally think it's time for everyone to start making their hair ready for the fabulous weather this time of year brings!  Does that mean you have to go blonde?  Nope!  This raven haired fox has no intention of that (was a blonde at birth and all through high school til I had to darken it up for a play....never looked back!), but I am craving a change.  Subtle..like my tattoo, only seen when I want it to be seen.  That's right....welcome to the foxy world of peek-a-boo colors!

Peek-a-boo colors are strategically placed under the layers of your hair.  You can do them on the sides, in the bangs, or (my personal fave) behind the ear.  That way, it really only shows when you tuck your hair or have it pulled up.  If you are dark, any color lighter than your own will work, and vice versa if you are light...but you know that I love some pink, some red, even a little purple in there.  If you are a blonde already, those colors really POP, but make sure your stylist knows what she/he is doing as it is all to easy to have that color bleed into the rest of your tresses, and that is not foxy.....at all.  This is a relatively inexpensive process as it is not all over color, so it's fun for a little pick-me-up, and easily taken out by bleaching, or by covering it up with another dark color.  If you go with a fantasy color (pink, blue, green, red, purple) versus a natural color (blonde, brunette, black, auburn), be aware it will fade faster so USE A PROFESSIONAL SHAMPOO.  I cannot stress that enough.  No guarantee can be made for the longevity of the color if you are using something over the counter from a drug store. 

So am I suggesting peek-a-boo's for everyone?  Nah....but they are fun and an amazing way to ease into color if you have never had color done!  What I am mainly suggesting is a change.  Change with the season.  Go shorter!  Go lighter!  Get some high lights or low lights!  Change up your style!  You will feel so amazing afterwards!  You will feel FOXY!  Like a snake shedding his skin (gross, I know....sorry) shed the same ol' same ol' from the winter!  Find some magazines, figure out your facial shape, ask your stylist what color suits your skin tone, and just do it!  No fear, foxes!  No fear!

So if you have been in a rut, it's time to get Stylin....like a fox!


Interested in my Stylin Summer Challenge update?  Check out my personal blog here! Also, it's not too late to join the Slim by Summer facebook event!  15 weeks til summer, foxes!  WOOT!

1 comment:

  1. This is a good idea! My hubby just told me the other day that my hair is boring since I always color it black. I think some low lights would be a good change :) Thanks! <3 Sonja

    ReplyDelete